Sunday, March 20, 2016

Mid-March

Here's some of what's happening:

  • Taxes done!
  • It looks like we may be able to finish off our fence this summer with our refund!  (Our backyard is 90% fenced, but with a small child at home, that last 10% is really important.  If we start doing potlucks for my husband's department, it could make it much easier on everybody to entertain young families.)
  • We also are doing a thing for the big kids this year where (right around tax prep day) we pay them 3% interest on the accounts they hold with the Bank of Mom and Dad.  (We used to do accounts for them with real banks, but it was a pain to take care of them.)  C is saving for her senior trip in four years and D is primarily interested in getting a car (although I suspect he'll be able to go on the senior trip, too).  The Bank of Mom and Dad is not FDIC insured, but you can't beat the interest rate.  
  • We're having a little cold snap--back to the low 40s in the morning.
  • C just got her monk costume in the mail--her class is going to be doing a monastery demonstration for some younger students.
  • C is back to being able to do full ukulele practices, but she still asks for an occasional Motrin.
  • After a long idyllic period of just putting Baby T to bed and then next seeing her 11+ hours later the next morning, we've hit a rough spot with Baby T's sleep.  She's now wanting to have her light left on and the door left open (we have a baby gate and a doorknob cover on that door).  Also, she has been adding many tiny rituals to the going-to-bed process (rock her in the rocker, pat her back 7 times, lie down next to her and sing to her, etc.).  It kind of makes me miss the days when I just had to dress four stuffed animals in her pajamas before getting her to bed.  She's gotten very reluctant to have me leave at the end, and will often stick a little hand out to hold me to make sure I'm not leaving before she's fast asleep.  She says, "Don't leave me!"  We've been flicking her light off and closing her door as we go to bed.  Problem is, she's also waking up in the middle of the night and needing to repeat much of the process.  She did it this morning around 1:30 something (namely, once we had fallen asleep) and I left her with the light on, as that's what she wanted.  Boo hoo.  The other thing is that apparently, only I am allowed to do this bedtime/middle of the night stuff for her now.  Boo hoo some more.  
  • Her nap is getting more and more theoretical.  Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, usually it's no more than one hour, and a lot of the time, she just bounces around her room for the hour.  Problem is, they have a nap at school this year, next year, and the year after that...   
  • Baby T and I have both been enjoying discovering children's songs and videos on youtube.
  • I have started to do a little bit more planning for a West Coast trip early this summer for me, C and D.  It looks like I have about a week blocked out, but I'm not sure where we'll be during that week.  We'll be taking C's ukulele this time, I expect.  I'm planning to wait until summer 2017 to take Baby T to WA.      

No comments: