Saturday, November 28, 2015

Dumbo and Thanksgiving

Here's some of what's happening:

  • Dumbo is Baby T's new go-to, as well as the only full-length movie she sits through.
  • At bedtime, Baby T likes to talk about what she wants to dream about--for instance Dora, My Little Ponies or Dumbo
  • She also likes to tell me what she wants to do the next day.  For instance, a night or two ago, she wanted to go to the "drive thru zoo" the next morning.  (The drive thru safari was what we did for her birthday about 6 or 7 weeks ago.)
  • For Thanksgiving we had a largely store provided feast, but I did the cranberries and sweet potatoes from scratch.
  • While I was cooking, my husband took all of the kids for an outing to the big wild city park.  Baby T loved the outing (I think this is her first walk in the real woods) but did have a tendency to run off.  
  • I made a full plate up for Baby T for Thanksgiving dinner, but she had me remove everything except the turkey and sweet potatoes.  She liked that, though.  She also liked the pumpkin pie and was dismayed when it was all gone and we were starting the apple pie, which is not her thing.
  • We've been surviving the Thanksgiving cafeteria closure pretty well.
  • On Black Friday, my husband took Baby T and C to the zoo (it was a rainy day, but they did a lot of indoor exhibits), took C and D rollerskating (C tried rollerblades and was very good) and then drove C to a playdate out in the far suburbs to learn to make crepes from a friend's visiting French grandma.  Baby T and I went to the big strip mall in the late morning and it wasn't crazy while we were there (but it was getting that way after lunch).  With Baby T's assistance, I bought a pair of Carter's fleece two-piece pjs with polar bears (on sale AND with a coupon).  She was very pleased and carried it around the whole visit.  Baby T is a phenomenal walker now and we visited stores on the strip mall and then walked back to the car.  She wore the new pjs last night over a pair of normal cotton pjs (long story, but my husband has specially adapted a number of pairs of pjs with velcro panels so that Baby T cannot remove them at night or during naps).    
  • We encouraged the big kids to get to work on their Christmas lists and the Christmas shopping is starting.  We have finally gotten lists from the kids.  C helped Baby T draft one, but I think I will get more usable intelligence from taking Baby T to Toys R Us and observing.

No comments: