Sunday, May 10, 2015

Thank you, IKEA!

Our family has been struggling to fit onto the sofa my husband and I purchased pre-kids in mid/late 2001.  The five of us do not fit as neatly onto the sofa as we used to as a family of 2 or 3 or 4.  A month or two ago, I had a near-miss at a discount furniture place, where I thought I had found a suitable small leatherish sectional for $850 (I think)--it looked and felt great.  The brand name for the material was Durablend.  I even called my husband in (in the middle of the working day) to look at the find with the thought of buying immediately.  Sadly, when he googled Durablend, it turned out that the material (which larger consists of non-leather stuff) is notorious flaking profusely at around the one year point.  So, that was a no.

I did a little more research and was starting to make peace with the fact that real leather sectionals cost as much as reliable used cars, but that it would be worth the wait.  (Here's a $5,500 leather sectional from Pottery Barn.)

I had previously looked at IKEA and found that their leather offerings were probably too small.  As I recall, the biggest leather sectional in their fleet was a love seat plus a chaise longue.  It seemed logical, since their base demographic is young adults furnishing small starter homes, so mega-sectionals are not their market.  Well, I checked again today online, and IKEA's sectional offerings have been blossoming.  Here's a $2,000 IKEA leather sectional that is pretty much exactly what we want.  This is very exciting, as at this price, we might even be able to get one within the year.  10 year limited warranty!  

No comments: