Monday, February 24, 2014

Phase 1 of renovation plan

I've been working on a phased renovation plan.  It won't be for any time soon, as 2014 is supposed to be dedicated to the purchase of a minivan and 2015 is supposed to be for starting (!) college savings.  I've really been choking on the entry (as we want a floor with some give to it that doesn't look cheap), but I think I've got a color scheme now.  I have no idea Here's Phase 1 (the whole downstairs, except for a bedroom, a bath, and most of the kitchen):

  • grey and white (or charcoal and light grey) checkerboard Marmoleum in entry, hall, powder room, laundry and kitchen (replacing pink-veined marble-look white tile)
  • white paint everywhere downstairs except for one bedroom and bath (replacing pinkish paint)
  • wall paper in powder room (vinyl? toile? chinoiserie? color? not sure), replacing pink palm wallpaper
  • replace several ugly light fixtures (I've seen a lot of prettier alternatives)
  • replace dirty pink carpet on stairs and in upstairs hallway with fresh carpet (dark beige? medium brown? definitely not a darker brown)
  • do we go white or black with stair rail? (it's currently white)
  • do any windows need to be replaced? (hope not)
  • is front door OK? (I really like the ornamental glass panes, I hope it can be repaired--there may be a little bit of decay)
  • chocolate brown leather sofa or sectional for living room
  • media center (IKEA? color?)
  • turn Baby T's playroom into game room/playroom for everybody
  • living room decor with soft blues and soft rosy reds 
I have a lot of blue stuff, and if we are going to do white walls, brown carpet, white-and-grey checkerboard flooring, the challenge is going to be to warm it up.  I suppose I should eventually work on bringing in those soft rosy reds wherever I can, but that's going to be the final layer of decoration.  (I might wind up doing the powder room in a rosy red, though.)

No comments: