Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Post-Christmas loot

Baby T and I had an outing to Barnes & Noble and Home Depot this morning.

  • I'm feeling very smug about my haul from the Barnes & Noble Christmas 75% off table.  I got a cup of coffee, a large box of peppermint bark and a bag of chocolate truffles all for $10. 
  • We don't usually go to Home Depot (we usually go to Lowes), so it was interesting to check out their offerings.  I came away with yet more speckled white and white marble laminate countertop samples for my renovation hope box.  I also noted that there were some small bathroom vanities that might fit into our downstairs powder room.  The powder room sink is so constructed that water winds up hitting the caulking and sitting there, so was quite thrilled to see that some of the small vanities have a sort of built-in backsplash.  Would it fit, though?
  • One nice thing about Home Depot is that after my years of perusing House Beautiful and other home magazines, just about everything looks really inexpensive.  $30 a square foot for granite--sign me up!
  • Another area for study is the question of the kitchen/entry/powder room/hall/laundry room flooring.  It is currently white tile with pinkish marbled veining.  I actually kind of like the light flooring.  The problem is 1) my ultimate plan is to de-pink the house and 2) there's an area in the kitchen with a crack that runs across four tiles.  Our local soil is prone to expanding and contracting as the water content changes (hence the need to vigorous water the foundation to prevent movement).  The existing tile has worn very well over 20+ years and getting new tile would be very practical for the entry, but then again, it would nearly kill me to put in new tile and then have cracks suddenly appear again.  We can't really do wood because there's already wood flooring elsewhere in the downstairs, and it's not really that practical for wet areas.  Engineered wood would be OK for wet areas, but you still have the problem of matching the existing wood floor in the living room--I think fake wood is going to look bad next to real wood.  The current leading option is to do vinyl planks or tiles.  I think it would look fine in the kitchen, entry and powder room, but I have concerns about how it's going to look in the main entry, which is one of those over-sized McMansion entries with sweeping staircase.  If we go with vinyl plank or tile, it needs to look really good.         
  • It sounds like some family paintings may be coming to our house!  I'm thinking that the paintings may help us choose paint colors for the downstairs.  

No comments: