Monday, January 13, 2014

End of break

Here's some of what's been happening:

  • We celebrated my husband's birthday about a week ago.  He made a delicious cinnamon chocolate version of the classic Hershey's chocolate cake recipe.  
  • We've watched all of the extended versions of LOTR over Christmas break.  I did a substantial chunk of that on our new elliptical machine.
  • D has been building LOTR inspired block fortresses and my husband has cut and sanded a bunch of new blocks for him.  On one occasion, D had a block Minas Tirith and a block Mordor (with Barad-Dur and Mount Doom).  
  • C has sewed a stuffed Minecraft creeper and finished a baby quilt kit from Big Lots.  She also made up an Aunt Annie's gingerbread pretzel kit I got from the store on clearance.
  • I got such a good deal on cloth napkins today on Christmas clearance--70% off.    
  • I made a visit to the nice local home materials store over Christmas break.  I'm kind of smitten with Armstrong's line of vinyl tile and I think it is a fantastic product for areas like bathrooms and kitchens.  It's much warmer to the touch than ceramic tile or stone. 
  • I need to talk to a professional and make some sort of staged plan for renovating our house.  My current thought is that for the kitchen, we could do very well to change the floor from the current tile (we'd also be retiling a hallway, powder room and entry), paint, change the knobs on the cabinets (currently white ceramic with pink water lilies) and switch from our current mauve pink laminate countertop and backsplash to a different neutral light laminate countertop and backsplash (I'm thinking pearly white or sparkly white or fake white marble if that's possible).  That could change a lot.  I'm not sure how the new stuff would go with our late 80s/early 90s pinkish pickled finish cabinets, but what I'm hoping is that once the paint and countertops aren't pink, the cabinets will stop glowing so pinkly.  We will eventually have appliances to think about.  I don't want to be the last person on earth to buy stainless steel appliances, but I am nonetheless leaning toward getting a stainless steel fridge when the time comes, as well as replacing our current antique-looking wall oven with something stainless steel.  
  • Appliance-wise, we've currently got a lot of different finishes.  We've got a white fridge, black dishwasher, black cook top, stainless microwave and a white/black/stainless oven.  I'd like to limit our appliance palette to stainless and black or just stainless.  
  • There's some risk that the pickled pink cabinets just won't work with stainless steel appliances.
  • As I said, I don't want to be the last person to get stainless, but I also don't feel crazy about white or black, and I really like our stainless steel microwave.   

No comments: