Thursday, November 7, 2013

Weaning for real

I had been planning to slowly, judiciously taper off my breastfeeding with Baby T, but it is not to be.  The day after I cut down to 16 minutes total, I started getting unpleasant symptoms, and the next day when I was able to get in to see the nurse practitioner, she told me I was well on my way to mastitis...again (I did a course of antibiotics back in August, also when I was trying to cut down).

The nurse told me that my course of antibiotics may upset Baby T's tummy if I keep nursing.  There's also the issue that if I keep nursing through the course of antibiotics (which is an option), then I'll have to start weaning again directly afterwards (because weaning is my plan anyway), which may lead to mastitis again, which is kind of dumb.  If that keeps up, I'll never be able to quit, and I subject Baby T to several rounds of having her gut flora massacred.  So I'm taking the opportunity of my course of antibiotics to quit, fast but not cold turkey.  I cut down quite a bit last night with the intention of from then on just doing a couple of bedtime feeds and then quitting for good, but we had a gut check when Baby T woke up last night around 1 AM.  This happens pretty rarely, so when it does, I would normally just feed her back to sleep and plunk her back in her bed.  Easy peasy.  Last night, however, I gave her Tylenol, did a very minimal breastfeeding, offered Baby T some water from a sippy (she had very little interest in it), set her back in her crib, placed the sippy in the corner of the crib, and was dismayed to see that rather than agreeably rolling over onto her tummy and sticking her thumb in her mouth, she was SITTING UP.  I left her bedroom, shut the door, and stationed myself outside her room.  I heard restless noises for quite a while, but no crying.  When I was pretty sure she was down, I went back to bed.  This whole process took an hour and 20 minutes, which is at least an hour more than nursing her back to sleep would have taken, but it did work.  

No comments: