Friday, November 15, 2013

Busy Friday

Here's some of what's happening:

  • Baby T had a somewhat inappropriate nap this morning.  She fell asleep in her Pack N Play while I was putting the ingredients for kheer into my Crock Pot.  It only lasted an hour, which is about an hour or two shorter than normal, but I managed to set up the rice pudding, deal with email relating to board game club, and have lunch.
  • The Indian rice pudding was a real cliffhanger.  I have made it a number of times, but I've been wanting to try it with brown rice for a healthier version, so today I used brown basmati.  I kept stirring and sampling the rice, hoping that it was going to soften up, but after nearly 3 hours in the Crock Pot, there was no sign that the brown basmati had softened at all.  Also, I was running out of time.  I kept it in the Crock Pot on low for another hour and then put it in the microwave for about 10 minutes, but nothing much happened and it was time to leave for board game club.    
  • My husband, Baby T and I went to school.  I handed out name tags to the nine children (grades 2-6) in attendance and my husband explained the rules for Quiddler to the kids (it's a word-building game).  We had two tables of players--a table for 2nd and 3rd grade and a table for 4th-6th grade (it was a very even split).  I followed along as best as I could while wheeling and toting Baby T around.  Challenges to words were resolved with the help of dictionaries on the kids' Kindles.       
  • We drove home and my husband put pumpkin muffins in the oven.  I fed Baby T and tried to resuscitate my Indian rice pudding.  I microwaved it another 15 minutes, having pretty much given up hope.  But finally, my efforts paid off--finally the pudding emerged with the rice finally edible and the milk nicely thickened.  Success!  I sprinkled on the finishing sliced almonds, we packed up our stuff and drove to the potluck.
  • We only stayed about an hour, as Baby T (who had had an abbreviated nap) was starting to wilt.  It was fun, though, and we managed to get through a long day, and Baby T enjoyed the baked beans.  We rushed home and I put T to bed in her day clothes.   

No comments: