Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Sick days

Here's some of what's happening:

  • C and D have been running fevers for days and C has missed two Red Cross swim classes.  C is finally well (I think) and should be able to do one more lesson this week.  Both kids will be doing another two-week Red Cross swim course later this summer.
  • The kids have about a week and a half of more or less no planned activities and then they'll start getting really busy, especially C.  
  • I regret to say that I've been so busy quarantining Baby T and spooning baby food into her and cleaning her up that I haven't really had a chance to do more than just feed the big kids.
  • I'm finally kicking into gear with solids.  I'm trying to follow this schedule for feeding Baby T:  milk, solids, milk, solids, milk, solids, milk.  I'm not sure if Baby T is getting exactly 3 solid meals (it's more like 2.5), but there's a lot of wiping and shoveling.
  • A miracle happened today.  After days of my offering her tiny spoonfuls of pea puree and having her make a terrible face and stopping after less than a teaspoonful, Baby T finally seems to be enjoying pureed peas.  She was agreeably slurping down pureed peas this evening.  She ate an entire tub of the nasty stuff as well as an entire tub of pureed carrots over the course of two feedings.  
  • I've been giving her either Cheerios or part of a bagel to work on while I spoon in purees.  She usually seizes the first spoon and then I have to continue feeding with a second or third spoon.  Good thing I have a lot of baby and toddler cutlery.  I have also been starting with the less favored item (for instance, peas) before offering more popular purees (fruit and yellow veggies).  I'm giving her water in a sippy cup.      
  • Coincidentally, we have finally ordered a new Diaper Genie.   
  • As usual, I have a doomsday store of baby food, but hopefully we'll get through it faster if we use two tubs a day.  Up until very recently, she was eating at most one tub a day.  In a week or so, she can start eating pureed meat baby food. 
  • I'd like to get on to the Stage 3 baby foods (the lumpy ones with several ingredients) and I'd also like to give her yogurt and cheese and soft fruit and table foods, but first we need to get through my supply of purees.  I've also got a long list of things to try on her.  It's going to take forever.  Oh, and we need to start moving her onto cow's milk at around one year.          
  • C found a recipe for an ice cream pie in her 1950s kids' recipe book (Thanks, Pru!).  We decided to make some changes.  We did a crust made out of crushed chocolate graham crackers, butter and sugar (on reflection, we should have skipped the sugar).  You spoon that into the pie pan, cool it, and then spoon ice cream on top, pat it down and then freeze it.  C did a lot of the work herself, with suggestions.  
  • We did 15 minutes of unpacking in C's room tonight.  My husband ordered 3' X 4' cork boards, one for each big kid.  We really need the boards for the next phase of our unpacking. 

No comments: