- After much procrastinating, I got to the post office (by myself!) and mailed some books to a friend in Russia and went to the bank to fix an expired debit card issue. Not particularly difficult tasks, as it turned out, but much faster by myself.
- My husband and the kids are planning to build a quiz machine at home this summer so that the school's Junior Classical League kids will be able to practice with a machine before going to regionals and state next year. We have a growing collection of parts. They were just testing the buttons.
- C was teaching D "Amazing Grace" on the ukulele this morning.
Friday, May 12, 2017
Here's some of what's happening:
Sunday, May 7, 2017
Here's some of what's happening:
- We have our water park summer passes!
- C finally got to the local grownup ukulele club. There were four people including C. They played Folsom Prison Blues, King of the Road and Leroy Brown, switching back and forth. The guy who was leading the group was very engaging and well-prepared--and (surprisingly) an amateur. I was totally sure he was a professional music teacher, but he's in a completely different line of work.
- The local grownup ukulele club meets twice a month, which is just about perfect. They started meeting early last fall and I believe they've done a Christmas performance, but they'd like to work up to visiting nursing homes (maybe quarterly?) which is very nice. I believe that they're trying to work up a repertoire of half a dozen songs.
- We're having our last school ukulele club meeting soon.
- Everything is starting to wrap up--C's riding, youth group, and D's CCD finish up in the next week or two, and the kids have another three weeks of school.
Friday, April 21, 2017
Saturday, April 15, 2017
We went to Waxahachie's Scarborough Renaissance Festival today as a very, very early birthday gift for me (my birthday is in June, after the Faire closes). C has been there before for two school visits, but this was a first visit for the rest of us. Here are some notes:
- so hard to get into the parking lot! so far from the entrance!
- C wore her purple flower wreath from a previous visit to the Faire, a purple shirt, carried a purple foam sword, and eventually picked out a purple painted parasol
- almost no cell phone looking!
- so much smoking!
- This was a Celtic theme weekend, so there were hundreds of kilted men, including lots of men in the famous Utilikilt (it's like a hybrid between Dockers and a traditional Scottish kilt).
- lots of great Renaissance costumes with a sprinkling of non-Renaissance costumes
- iffy toilets (they told us to put the toilet paper in the baskets, not the toilets--eww!)
- I spent a lot of time shuttling myself and Baby T to the bathroom.
- We saw a falconry show
- C and Baby T rode a camel together
- C and D did bungee jumping (they've wanted to try it for years)
- C and D enjoyed fried ice cream
- there were also a number of impromptu battles between the kids, as we brought along our foam swords--they got pointers from a kind stranger
I was keeping a particular eye on the musicians, as C has a particular interest in Renaissance music, and there's a possibility that she could eventually play at the Faire. Going in, I was wondering about what kind of instruments are typical. I'm not sure if this was typical (it being a Celtic weekend), but I saw a number of harps, modern guitars, a mandolin (?) and a ukulele. I didn't see an actual lute, as far as I could tell.
Sunday, April 9, 2017
Here's what happened yesterday:
- My husband drove C and D out to C's horse therapy out at the ranch.
- I took Baby T to campus where Baby T scootered amidst prospective new students and their families (I did NOT expect that). We met an out-of-town internet friend and her preschooler and infant, had lunch (also amidst the prospective new students and their families) and then did a loop at the zoo. It was over way too soon. They're from the Houston area, so hopefully we'll be able to meet up again in the next year or two.
- Baby T has acquired her entire set of 8 Octonauts, and really really really wants a playdate to play with her new set.
- In general, Baby T has an insatiable appetite for life. So, we make cut-out cookies (C took Star Trek insignia cookies to school for First Contact Day) and a couple days later, Baby T wants to do it again. Or we did our zoo outing with new friends and she's clamoring for playdates. More more more!
- I haven't planned the summer yet, but we are all hoping to travel to the West Coast in June and there should also be a couple weeks of gifted camp in June for the big kids. My husband will be teaching some courses. I have gotten Baby T into a one-day PDO program that promises lots of water play. Beyond that it's a bit hazy--I do know that I'd ideally like to get Baby T into a swim class, because she's showing a lot of water skills.
Saturday, April 8, 2017
Sunday, March 26, 2017
Here's some of what we have been doing this weekend:
- D did a 10k race and came in at 53 minutes--a personal best.
- C did her therapeutic riding.
- Baby T had been asking for weeks (if not months) for a playdate with a daughter of friends, so we got together last night. We had dinner with the cafeteria, did frisbee, balls, and scooter on campus, and then went home and did zipline, Connect Four and Hot Wheels. C also played her electrified ukulele and the visiting mom sang Scarborough Fair while C played. (C's Renaissance pieces sound very interesting with electric effects)